Friday, 27 September 2013

Roadkill

I read somewhere recently in a recent survey of uk roadkill the most common victim were blackbirds. Sorry, I can't find where and when I searched I found an Independent article saying it was badgers - a discrepancy which could led this post down a very different route. Blackbirds, though, are slow responders to danger, which means they will more often than not leave it to the last minute before the fly 'out of the way' of traffic, aka fly across the path of passing cars.

Only a few months ago I killed one. It was a strange event: shocking and cartoonesque. I was driving along the A6. A blackbird suddenly swooped across my path. A single black feather spiralled up over the bonnet and away. I drove on. The lack of thump made it worse, and I was haunted by the sight of the feather for the rest of my journey. The fourteenth way of looking at a blackbird.

All roadkill is a result of overpopulation. The encroachment of humans on the wildlife population of the country.  I mentioned the 25% / 50 year disaster in my last post.

I find it absolutely stunning that this is not considered newsworthy. Instead our tv adverts hammer on about sofas and cereals. Our news focuses on how man kills man or currently, 'recovery'. Is it because David and Boris think they can escape it in bunkers? Do they disbelieve it? Is it too boring for an electorate to engage with? It obviously won't sell papers.Talk on the Today programme this morning was frustration with the policitians for arguing over scientific evidence while there is no discussion over economic policies that do/don't respond to climate change.

Fifty years. That's in the lifetimes of many many parents. Why aren't more people talking about it? I know Facebook is not thermometer of public opinion but when I first posted this information in a status update it passed virtually uncommented upon. I posted a picture of my first tomato harvest and received double the amount of interest. Surely these people overlap in their concerns? Is it because it's a hopeless case?

I am truly perplexed.

1 comment:

Jean Atkin said...

I suspect it's because it's too scary for people to think about. Listening to the news this morning I was doing just that, calculating the age my children will be in 2060, wondering if they will dare to reproduce themselves.
I assume that fear is what keeps many climate change deniers busily denying too.
And perhaps it is hopeless. I can't see how it could be (not fixed) but even ameliorated without an almost unimaginable shift away from the God of Economic Growth. Can you?
Shakes head. It is easier to be happy with a tomato harvest. Actually I think that's ok. But no politician should get away with warbling about the economy and not be challenged about their current policy's effect on the environment.