Friday, 15 May 2015

The Shopbox is Open


Finally I have made my own shop: an old Windsor and Newton paintcase. It only needed minor modifications: the addition of a couple of cardboard strips to give compartments for each pamphlet. It's one of those ridiculously simple jobs that sat on the shelf for months while I considered all the possible complexities, that weren't actually relevant.

This is actually the reverse of what I usually experience: having a 'brilliant' idea that I mentally elaborate on for days, perhaps weeks and then settle down to execute it, only to discover it's not so fabulous. The most recent of these was to make a skull and crossbones out of q-tips.

I've been developing an interest in plastics, reading and [attempting] writing about their presence in the sea and on coastlines. So a pair of crossbones from q-tips seemed a brilliant image to capture the fact the these little shafts are one of the most populous pieces of plastic found in the sea. Yes, people must flush them down the toilet...  Crossbones: simple - strong - easy to make...

All of which were true. The missing x factor was the image. I tried making the skull with cotton wadding, drawing an outline of it, using a gull's skull I'd found. None really hit that transcendent image I had formulated in my imagination. One just looked naff. Another just looked naff and the third I'm still chewing over.

Because I'm making this next pamphlet differently: designing the pamphlet as I write the poems to see how that grows the piece, all this faffing about stalled the writing. I've put visuals aside, apart from making a tear-out font for one title to see how that was going to work, and refocused myself on the words. Which are also proving hard to pin down.

In the back of my head a new idea has formed. It'll be even better. Still simple, but will take longer to trial than hustling a couple of q-tips. I reckon I need at least 40 odd photos, all staged and slightly different. Yes, I'm going to try a flickbook... I just don't know quite when I'm going to face the harsh truth of making it.



2 comments:

Lorna Smithers said...

I think the gull's skull and q tips look quite haunting, and almost like a strange kind of sea creature, unoctopuslike and unfossilike but kind of evoking each... will be interested to see how this turns out!

Sarah Hymas said...

I like the idea of nurturing a new sea creature :) will feed it plankton and plastic -- see which it prefers...